Friends of the Sechelt Public Library
Who We Are:
Friends of the Sechelt Public Library is an independent non-profit organization that was founded in 1997. It is made up of a passionate group of volunteers who raise funds on behalf of the library, promote literacy and learning and public awareness, and advocate for and strive to ensure that our Library continues to be a central and vital part of Sechelt.
Donations of up to two boxes of books in good condition are accepted at each Book Faire until 1 pm on Sunday. The Friends of the Sechelt Public Library are happy to accept the following items in excellent condition:
- classic titles, older best sellers and popular fiction of enduring interest
- local materials about Sechelt, the Sunshine Coast, and British Columbia
- books that have been published or purchased within the past 5 years
- popular current paperbacks
We are unable to accept the following items:
- materials that are worn, torn, underlined, highlighted, dusty, dirty, mouldy or in otherwise poor condition
- encyclopedias, computer books and manuals, Reader’s Digest condensed books, colouring books, workbooks, blank page journals
- previously sold library material
- records, cassettes or VHS tapes
For additional information please call Gillian Smith at 740-8385 or email the Friends of the Library at SecheltFOL@gmail.com
The Friends meet at 1:30pm on the fourth Thursday of the month at the Rockwood Centre, 5511 Shorncliffe Ave, Sechelt. Fees are $5 per year. If you love books and the library, enjoy the company of like-minded interesting people, and are looking for something worthwhile to do consider volunteering with the Friends. For more information contact the current co chair of the Friends, Sandra Friedman at 604-885-5998 or speak with our Chief Librarian, Shelley Archibald at 604-885-3260.
Meet our Executive:
- Co-Chair: Gillian Smith
- Co-Chair: Sandra Friedman
- Treasurer: Beverly Shimazaki
- Secretary: Lois McCreadie
What We Do:
The main purpose of the Friends is to raise money to provide a variety of programs, resources and equipment purchases that are separate from the Sechelt Public Library’s core operating budget. Decisions about these purchases are made at the request of, and in close consultation with, the Chief Librarian. Our main fundraising activity is our ongoing Book Faires.
In the past two years the Friends have provided the library with:
- Book storage units for the Children’s Library.
- Magazine rack for the Children’s Library.
- Digital display unit (television) behind the check out counter
- Library Banner
- Sloping Shelves
- International Mystery Collection of 220+ DVDs