Sechelt Library offers numerous options for individuals unable to read conventional print due to a physical, visual, or learning disability.
If you would like to learn more about our services and those of our partner organizations, please call the library at 604-885-3260 and ask to speak to Janette.
Special Accessibility Collections with Partner Organizations:
- Canada’s largest collection (over 700,000 items) of accessible format books and online resources for all ages. Includes newspapers, magazines, and books in audio, e-text and braille. Download books or receive home delivery by mail.
- CELA Registration for Canadian Collection: Self-register online
- CELA members can access a US based collection (through Bookshare) of over 800,000 titles in e-book and e-braille. Includes books for all ages, covering a range of topics. Audiobooks are in synthetic speech (computer voiced). Note: Proof of disability is required.
- CELA Registration for US Collection (Bookshare):
- National Network for Equitable Library Service is an online public library of books for people with a print disabilities. Available formats include audiobook, DAISY, PDF, EPUB, e-text, and electronic Braille. Eligible users or friends and family members can access the NNELS catalogue and download material directly, or request assistance from library staff. Use the tutorials to help you get started. If you have any questions, or require further assistance please let us know. Click here for additional Free Reading Resources.
Special Accessibility Collections & Equipment at Sechelt Library
- Daisy Disc Collection. Daisy discs are advanced MP3 discs with special navigation features. Some include both text and audio, allowing for full-text searching & page navigation. Sechelt Library has a rotating collection of 100 titles available for loan. DAISY compatible player required (see below).
- Daisy Players. 2 DAISY players available for loan (Plextalk Linio & Victor Reader Stratus). These compact, simple to use devices feature tactile, high-contrast keys, as well as high quality speech and adjustable volume controls and playback speed. Basic navigation features allow you to skip from section to section or page to page. Ability to play DAISY and MP3 books, as well as music on CDs, and USB flash drives. Available to borrow for 6 weeks, with option to renew.
- Sony Radio/Cassette CD Boombox Plays regular CDs and MP3 formats. Available to borrow for 6 weeks with option to renew.
- Large Print Computer Keyboards (VisionBoard) Large, high visibility keys offer improved readability and control for those who find it difficult to use a traditional keyboard.
- Braille Books Small collection of children’s braille & print-braille picture books.
Resources Available to All Library Patrons
The following resources offer more accessible reading options such as audiobooks and large print. Features may include ability to adjust font size, backlighting while reading, and lighter weight type books.
- Large Print Collection Over 1800 titles with easy-to-read font size 14 point or larger. Click here to browse.
- Interlibrary Loans Many materials are shared among libraries in BC and across Canada.
- Library To Go Access eBooks & eAudiobooks and Magazines using the free Libby App. Click here for more info.
- Tumblebooks Library Online collection of animated, talking picture books. Professionally narrated with highlighted text.
- Audiobook Collection The library has an extensive collection of over 1300 audio-books in CD & MP3 formats. Note: Our audiobook covers include Title & Author in braille, to enable independent browsing by braille users. Click here to browse.
- Pre-loaded Kobo eReaders Try one of our 5 eReaders, pre-loaded with a rotating collection of titles. Adjustable text size, colour, and back lighting may appeal to large print readers. A lightweight alternative to regular print books. Click here for more info.
Leave your Glasses at Home? We have magnifying sheets in the DVD section and a magnifying glass that you can borrow from the front desk.
Accessible Reading Apps & Software
Comprehensive List of Reading Systems For popular reading apps with accessibility features Browse here