Services for Patrons with Print Disabilities
Sechelt Library offers numerous options for patrons unable to read conventional print due to a physical, visual, or learning disability.
Special Accessibility Collections with Partner Organizations
- A collection 0f 700,000 title. Includes books in English and French for all ages and interests: classics, bestsellers, biographies, cookbooks, self-help books, and more.
- Available formats include: books and magazines in audio, e-text and braille; 50 newspapers in e-text; children’s picture books with braille added.
- Access to physical and Direct to Player formats.
- Access to Bookshare, a US based accessible online library. (Proof of disability required)
- How to register: Contact the Sechelt Library, or Self-register online
- A Canadian service with online content available to download directly to your computer or device.
- How to register: Contact the Sechelt Library.
Special Accessibility Collections & Equipment at Sechelt
- DAISY Collection – DAISY discs are advanced MP3 discs with special navigation features (e.g. by chapter). Some include both text and audio, allowing for full-text searching & page navigation.
- DAISY Players – 2 DAISY players available for loan (Plextalk Linio & Victor Reader Stratus) Ability to play DAISY and MP3 books and music on CDs, SD cards, and USB flash drives. Built-in text-to-speech.
- Sony Radio/Cassette CD Boombox – Plays regular CDs and MP3 formats.
- Large Print Computer Keyboards – VisionBoard donated by Community Futures Entrepreneurs with Disabilities Program. Large, high visibility keys offer improved readability and control for those who find it difficult to use a traditional keyboard.
- Braille – Small collection of children’s braille & PrintBraille picture books.
Resources Available to All Library Patrons
- Large Print Collection – 1,682-titles with easy-to-read font size 14 point or larger. Browse our collection…
- ILL – Many materials are shared among libraries in BC and across Canada.
- RBdigital – Access eBooks & eAudiobooks using the free RBDigital App. Includes videos & magazines. Create account with your Sechelt Library card.
- Overdrive – Access eBooks & eAudiobooks using the free Libby App. Create account with your Sechelt Library card.
- Tumblebooks Library – Animated talking picture books for children. Some read-a-loud features.
- Audio Book Collection – The library has an extensive collection of over 1200 audio-books in CD & MP3 formats. See our collection… Note: Audiobook covers include Title & Author in braille, to enable independent browsing by braille users.
- Forget your glasses at home? We have print magnifiers in the DVD section, and a magnifying glass that you can borrow from the front desk.
Free & Accessible Reading apps & software
- EasyReader App – For Windows, iOS & Android users.
- Amis – Self-voicing Windows compatible software program for reading DAISY books.
- For a more extensive list of popular reading apps, with accessibility features reviewed Browse here